A Certain Kind: Discipleship Essentials
Sharing the Wealth
1 Thessalonians 2:1-12
What made the difference in the church in Thessalonica? They had been effectively discipled!
Sharing the 'wealth' requires:
1. Total reliance on God - exhibited through obedience (2:2)
- "with the HELP OF OUR GOD we DARED TO TELL you his gospel..."
- Never forget where our help comes from, Ps. 121:1, Matt. 28:20
- What is preventing us from sharing the Gospel?
2. Understanding the significance of our identity and our responsibility (2:4)
- "We speak as those APPROVED BY GOD to be ENTRUSTED with the gospel."
- Paul (Saul) was chosen by God (Acts 9:15) and commissioned for service (Rom. 1:1)
- Every believer is chosen by God and commissioned to gospel service (2 Cor.17-20)
- What is Christ's return on investment in us related to his commission to make disciples?
3. Having a genuine love for the family of God (2:7-8)
- This is critical to fulfilling our personal responsibility as a disciple maker (vs. 8) "BECAUSE WE LOVED YOU SO MUCH, we were delighted to SHARE... the gospel of God and our lives as well"
- Genuine love in disciple making is accompanied by actions (John 3:16)
- Genuine love in disciple making grows in the context of relationship.
- Do my choices reflect a genuine love for the family of God? Or am I a distant relative?
4. Living above reproach - exhibiting Godly character (2:10)
- HOLY, RIGHTEOUS AND BLAMELESS
- "An example worth following and you do not make the gospel look fake by teaching one thing while doing another." Tim Challis
- Is the life I live in Christ worth following?
5. Wanting the 'best' for each other (2:11-12)
- "That we would LIVE LIVES WORTHY OF GOD, who calls us into his kingdom and glory."
- Who in the Calvary family am I encouraging, comforting and urging?
“Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ” – Paul (1 Cor. 11:1)