1 Peter 1:3-12
Where is our focus as we end 2019 and head into 2020?
- How are we going to finish 2019?
- How are we going to begin 2020?
- God’s great mercy – in spite of sin and helplessness
- New birth – regeneration, new life, salvation, conversion, new nature, new family, new creation
- Living hope – eternal life on the basis of the resurrection of Jesus Christ
- Inheritance – indestructible, undefilable, unfading
- Faith – God given, saving faith – permanent and protected
- Salvation – were saved, are being saved, will be saved
What about Trials and Suffering?
- Only for a little while – compared to an eternal inheritance that will never perish spoil or fade
- There is a reason for trials – tests faith to prove it genuine
- The Christian’s joy is not governed by circumstances, but by Jesus
How Great is Salvation?
- The salvation Christians now have is what the prophets wrote about, studied and longed to understand
- Believers now have the privilege of preaching this same salvation – fulfilled in Jesus Christ
- Even the angels don’t know all the details, yet eagerly and joyfully watch God’s plan unfold
- Believers are experiencing what prophets and angels longed to see
- You are called to praise God and rejoice.
- For your salvation!
- The reality is that many of you will leave this place today and return to a life of trouble and trials
- Remember that the trials of this life are for just a ‘little while’. They are nothing compared to eternity
- Take heart knowing that your trials have a purpose – so that your faith may be proved genuine
- Rejoice! You have what the prophets and even the angels longed to see and understand
Be filled with glorious joy because you are receiving the goal of your faith – the salvation of your soul!