MARK: The Gospel for Stressful Times
Ready or Not?
“Heaven and earth WILL pass away, but my words will not pass away.”
No matter what, keep watch and do not be afraid…four dangers that you need to expect…because the price of eternal liberty is “ceaseless vigilance.” (Cole)
Jewish Eschatology - the Day of the LORD
Near and far prophecy - the Judgement on Judaism and the Final Judgement on the World in the same discussion. The overlapping of common characteristics and unknown time between the lengths of distant mountain peaks—“you will see/when you see” (unsigns/ signs) “in those days/of that day”
1. The danger of being devoured by human effort religions (living) (12:38-44).
- The biggest symbol of that in Jesus’ time was Herod’s Temple and it was about to go out of business. (13:1, 2, 14-20)
2. The danger of being deceived by false Messiah’s (13:3-6, 21, 22).
- “MY NAME”--Wrong beliefs about Jesus makes one’s “Jesus” a false Messiah
3. The danger of being distracted by global crises (13:7-8, 24, 27).
- “…those things must take place, but that is not yet the end.”
4. The danger of being discouraged into defection by hardship and persecution (13:9-13).
- “…but the one who endures to the end, he shall be saved.”
“When you see these things happening, recognize that he is near, right at the door.”
As doorkeepers, “be on the alert—for you do not know when the master of the house is coming.”