Zechariah: The King is Coming
Our Sovereign God: Promise Keeper, Peacemaker, Protector
1. God is a Promise Keeper (9:1-8) God told the people he was jealous for Jerusalem and angry at the nations. Watch how God keeps his promises.
- 1:14 I am exceedingly jealous for Jerusalem and Zion
- 1:15 I am exceedingly angry with the nations
- 1:21 “cast down the horns of the nations” (God’s judgment is coming for the nations)
2. God is a Peacemaker (9:8-13) The first section depicts God as a divine warrior; this section portrays him as a peacemaker. Peace not only between man and man but also between God and man.
- Your King: The Royal descendant of David repeatedly promised (2 Sam 7:12-14, Ps. 132:11, Is. 9:7, 11:1-5, Jer. 23:5,6, 44:15, Ezek. 34:23, 24, 37:25,25)
- Righteous- governing, administering justice, and encouraging right.
- Bringing Salvation
- Humble- riding on a donkey, the triumphal entry
3. God is a Protector (9:14-17) “I will be their God and they will be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:33-44, Hebrews 8:10-11, Revelations 21:3)
- The Lord will appear over them (14)
- The Lord will protect them (15)
- The Lord will save them (16)
- The Lord will provide for them (17)