Jesus: The Reason for the Season
JESUS: The Way or In The Way?
Replace self with God or God with self? The more things change, the more they remain exactly the same.
- God is in the way and the remnant righteous are being squeezed to the margins (Mic. 1:8-9f)
- The babe in the manger is in the way (Matt 2:1-6)
- The church is in the way (Jn. 16:2)
Micah 4:9; Isa. 40:27
Micah 2:12-13; 4:6-8
How long will God’s people face disgrace?
How will this glorious rescue and reign come to pass? (Mic. 5:2-4)
1. A Ruler over Israel WILL be born (5:2; Lk. 2:4,11)
- A throne established forever (2 Sam. 7:16; Ps. 2:8; 72:8)…from the smallest of families
- A women will give birth (5:3)
- He will be from “ancient times”(5:2)
- Tribal reunification will occur (5:3)
Messiah prophecies assure all of us, it won’t be the visible presence of Jesus that goes—that is a forever fixture of this universe—human nations, godless leaders, belligerent states will be removed. (Mic. 5:10-15; Dan. 5:18-28)
The great reset is going to be a reversal of fortunes; the nations of this world will be replaced by the God they tried to replace.
2. A Shepherd King and not an unrighteous flock-fleecing tyrant (5:4; Jn. 10:11,14)
- Laid down his life already (Jn. 10:11,15,17-18; Acts 2:23) … “in our place” (Rom. 5:6-8)
- To rule over people he knows intimately (Jn. 10:14)
Our hope is not based on the when of anything, but on the certainty of what will happen! Our future is not controlled by human forces (5:7; Prov. 27:1; Jas. 4:13-16). Present reality cannot alter the hope promised in our future.
WHAT GOD PROPHECIES, HAPPENS!
All the nations may walk in the name of their gods;
We will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever! (Mic. 4:5)