Is Easter Essential; or Are Christians Relying on Fantasy?
Did Jesus really rise from the dead?
If Jesus didn’t rise from the dead—the cross of Good Friday was nothing more than an execution by a nation of misguided people and Christianity an equally benign and pathetic belief system vying for attention on the overcrowded religious landscape.
If Jesus did rise from the dead—then He is the God of this universe, Creator of life, and giver of the authentic word of God, Saviour and only solution to the great crisis of humanity—hostage to the fear of death and separation forever from God.
If Jesus did rise from the grave, Easter is the most essential event and the message of resurrection the most essential message in all of human history.
Facts or Feelings? Usually depends on the personal stakes!
The Resurrection Message is...
- First about a burial—Jesus was dead
- Unanticipated/opposed—No disciple vigil; only a security crisis by Jesus’ enemies
- More than adequately witnessed/authenticated—Mary x2, guards, disciples, >500
- WONDERFUL—He is not here; He has been raised!
- Avoided/denied—To this very day
- Urgent and to be spread—Go and make disciples
What does this mean to you?
- Jesus is Lord over life and death, sin and Satan.
- Jesus’ death and resurrection has (His work and not your own) qualified you for salvation from the wrath of God.
- Jesus one day will judge your eligibility for eternal life with Him.
All has been done to set the table for the salvation of your life—the Son of God has brought the message of salvation from heaven (how to be right with God), He has been raised from the dead (God is justified to justify you)—now the Word is near you, all is set for it to be in your mouth and in your heart—so that, if you (are now able) to confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved—not because your belief makes it so, but because it is so (whether or not you believe it), and it is for you to believe—the gift of righteousness and salvation belong to those who believe. (Rom. 10:6-10)
Those who benefit from Easter believe it is essential—that someone needed to die for their sins, and that Jesus truly is the only Lord God, and serve and follow Him as Lord and Saviour.
WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. (Rom. 10:11)