A Certain Kind: Discipleship Essentials
How Thanksgiving Protects Your Soul
Suffering shakes the believer’s sense of security like nothing else in life. Are you vulnerable or impervious? Of the multiple weapons evil spiritual forces utilize, mind games (2:4,8) are the favoured, especially during seasons of physical suffering (1:24). If the evil one can get your mind, he will get your heart.
To those who have the hope of glory—Christ in you! (1:27), the goal is your MATURITY, so that you will remain firm in your faith in Christ (2:5).
So that you are not easily deceived into trading all the treasures and wisdom of Christ for “fine-sounding arguments” (2:4,5)…
- Let encouragement flow liberally because discouragement can cause people to look elsewhere.
- Lavish love on each other because love takes the truth and embeds it into a tight emotional bond and firm convictions (3:14)
Promise - your understanding of what you have in Christ soars (2:2,3).
So that you are not duped into filling yourself with the emptiness of “hollow and deceptive philosophies” rather than the all-sufficiency of Christ (2:8, 9f)…
To your right start, continue by…(2:6,7)
- Remaining, through Christ
- Being built up, through Christ
- Being strengthened, through Christ
- Overflowing with thankfulness to Christ
…so that you are not an easy pickoff for doubt, fear, and anxiety that drives you from the fullness you have in Christ (2:10) to go shopping for alternative dependencies (2:8).
Is Jesus enough? Thanksgiving guards your heart from making a fatally wrong decision to that question.