God Has Something to Say to You
God has Something to Say to You about a Discouraged Heart
When discouraged, three truths God wants His people to remember:
1. He is LOYAL (Na 1:2)
“The LORD is a jealous [zealous] and avenging God...”
- His zeal surfaces when His own are unfaithful to Him or when His own are being wrongfully mistreated.
- Our battles belong to the LORD (His foes, His enemies).
- Our loyalty to Him is what He expects of us.
- His loyalty towards us is guaranteed because of His nature.
2. He is JUST (Na 1:3)
“The LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished.”
- Knowing that He will deliver justice is the hope we hold onto in spite of our circumstances.
- It is not a matter of ‘if’ He will, but rather a matter of ‘when.’
- “The LORD is slow to anger…” He is long suffering (2 Peter 3:9). Therefore justice may be postponed, but not rescinded (eg. Jonah and Nineveh).
- “And great in power” (vs. 3-6) There is no adversary that can match His power.
- We need view our situation from the perspective of how powerful and faithful our God is rather than simply from our human perspective.
3. He is GOOD (Na 1:7, 13, 15)
“A refuge in the day of trouble.”
- He is our ‘safe place’ in the midst of trouble. He won’t always remove our troubles but He will always sustain us through them.
- “He cares (‘knows’ NASB) for those who trust in Him.” He is a personal refuge. Our immediate and eternal safety is found in Him.
- “I will break their yoke from your neck and tear your shackles away” (vs. 13). Our freedom is ultimately controlled and provided by Him.
Is your heart discouraged? Do you find yourself in a situation that is overwhelming? Has God seemed distant and silent? His message to you today is:
- He will be loyal to you, He is zealous for you, He knows your situation and will fight on your behalf.
- He will deliver justice on your behalf. It’s not a matter of ‘if’ but rather a matter of when.
- So while you wait, take refuge in Him because He is good and He cares for you.