Game-Plan for Enduring the Race
1. Rejoice (v.4)
- “in the Lord always”
- The source in which believers joy exists is Christ
- Our only hope in life and death is, that we belong to God (Rom.14:7-8)
- Who/what are you rejoicing in?
2. Let your gentleness be evident to all (v.5)
- Our joy in Christ enables us to display counter-cultural attitudes and actions in difficult circumstances
- The Lord is near - we are indwelled, encompassed, and empowered by the presence of God (1 Cor. 3:16; Psalm 139:7)
- Who/what have you entrusted yourself to?
3. Do not be anxious (v.6)
- About anything
- Indicates a lack of trust in God’s wisdom, sovereignty, and power
- Meditating on the truth is a great antidote for anxiety (Matt. 6:25-27)
- Who/what do you turn to for the Truth?
4. Present your requests to God (v.7)
- With thanksgiving
- When praying remember:
- The love of God - which only desires what is best for us
- The wisdom of God - which alone knows what is best for us
- The power of God - which alone can bring about that which is best for us
- Replace anxiety with thankful prayer (Heb. 4:14-16)
- The peace of God;
- Enables believers to break the normal anxious behaviour expected in the midst of difficult circumstances
- Stands like a garrison over our hearts and minds
- Who are you presenting your requests to?
- How are you presenting your requests?