Follow or Fall Over; You Cannot Bypass
1. You can have Immanuel or Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz (1-4)
God with you or quick to be plunder!
2. You can be carried by the gentle waters of Shiloah or be swamped by the floodwaters of the Euphrates; the alternative god you turn to will not carry you, it will take over your life. (5-8)
3. God will be your sanctuary or a stumbling stone (11-15).
Reverent fear results in obedience – our relationship with God is the only factor that determines our destiny.
If God is removed from the centre, life doesn’t work.
4. You can have the light from heaven or struggle in the doom and gloom of human darkness (19-22).
If the moralists, relativists, and spiritists had any answer or help, God wouldn’t have needed to send light from outside of the world of humans.
5. Disciples will wait for the LORD; though it seems like He is absent or hiding, they will put their trust in Him. (16, 17).
Those who waited, standing firm in their faith were rewarded… “The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.” (9:2)
After a long time the owner of the vineyard sent his son – those who try to get to the “Owner” by bypassing the son will trip and fall… Lk. 20:18
But as many as receive Him, to them He (the Son) gave the right to become children of God. (Jn. 1:12)
So, “devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted, propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us.” (8:10).
We, as a culture, are so concerned about what our rights are; but what are God's rights?