MARK: The Gospel for Stressful Times
Countdown to Calvary
If you bring your own agenda to God, you will tragically miss out on what could have been.
- Positional enhancement
- Careful, calculated commitment
- Material advancement
- Ritualized formality
- Deism—God as permissive spectator
Many people can’t see who Jesus really is because they are blinded by their own agenda-driven emotions. Just about every type surfaced on the way to Calvary…
1. When Jesus threatens your preferred position - what hate does (14:1-2)
Jesus will not endorse status quo agendas that are in conflict with the will and ways of God.
2. When Jesus is your life - what love does (14:3-9)
Love for Jesus doesn’t count the cost.
3. When Jesus interferes with your material addictions - what greed does (14:10-11)
Jesus is neither a cash cow nor available to be used as an expected means to material ends.
4. When Jesus is your salvation - what God’s love is (14:12-26)
Sin (i.e. inadvertently or deliberately refusing God’s ways) makes a costly mess of everything and Jesus will not support the mess.