Out of the Wilderness and into the Promises of God
An Essential Discipleship Practice: For Enduring the Wilderness and Thriving on the Other Side
Wherever you find yourself – in the wilderness, on the way out of the wilderness or living in the promises of God, engaging in this essential discipleship practice will prove helpful. “Psalm 103 is suited for all ages, appropriate for all persons and applicable to all conditions.” Dennis Tucker Jr.
1. Praise the LORD and forget not ALL his benefits! (vs. 1-2)
- Our praise needs to be both personal | wholehearted
- And rooted in the fact that He is holy (cf.1 Sam. 2:22, Rev. 4:8)
- And in our praise we must forget not ALL his benefits (cf. Lam. 3:22-23, Jos. 4)
2. Recalling the promises of God personally helps fuel wholehearted praise (vs. 3-5)
5 promises David recalls:
- Vs. 3 - God forgives ALL your sins (vs. 3) (cf. Rom. 3:23, Eph. 2:3, 1 John 1:9) And heals all your diseases (cf. Isa. 53:5, 1 Pt. 2:24, Rev. 21:4)
- Vs. 4 – He redeems your life from the pit And crowns you with love and compassion
- Vs. 5 – He satisfies your desires with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagles (cf. Isa.40:27-31)
3. Recalling the promises of God for His people deepens our appreciation and understanding of His character (vs.6-19)
- Vs. 6 - He works out what is right and just for the oppressed.
- Vs. 7 - He reveals himself to be gracious
- Vs. 8 – He is compassionate & gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love (cf. Ex.34: 6)
- Vs. 9 – He will not always accuse, nor will he harbour his anger forever
- Vs. 10 – He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities
The rationale for His all-encompassing love, forgiveness, and compassion is rooted in His nature (1 John 4:16, “God is love”) and His divine remembrance (vs. 14)
An indication that we have the right understanding of His all-encompassing love is that we fear Him (vs. 11, 13, 17).
“Grace is unmerited, but it should provoke a response in the recipient” (vs. 20-22) – Dennis Tucker Jr.
Praise the LORD and forget not ALL his benefits!