A Certain Kind: Discipleship Essentials
A Certain Kind is a Word-Lover
Your greatest asset is what the enemy most seeks to eliminate—there is a supernatural agenda to separate people from God’s Words. First recorded words of the enemy forces of humanity… “Did God really say…?” (Gen 3:1)
Since a disciple is a “learner” of Christ, His words and ways, three glaring concerns undermine the very essence of discipleship:
- Not obeying the Word of God (Eph. 5:6)
- Bypassing the recorded revelation of God for private messaging, allegedly from God, but sounding ever-so-familiar to personal preferences and agendas (Jer. 23:25-32)
- Worshiping the words and not the WORD (Jn. 5:39-40)
The great tragedy of the struggling believer is this—the very solution to their quest for happiness/ fulfillment/ joy is found in the very thing they violate most—God’s Word.
Christ makes it plain that the key to abiding in God’s love is OBEYING God’s Word, and through obeying possessing Christ’s joy (Jn 15:9-11) and answered prayer (5:7)—and you simply cannot trade selective disobedience for good.
The Value to the Disciple of Bible Study…(Ps 119:1-16) – “FAITH FEEDS ON SCRIPTURE ALL DAY” (Piper
Why should you make the study of God’s Word (written, revealed, recorded version) a key objective of your life? (Ps 119:1-8)
- the promise of a blessed life
- the command to those who love God
It is in the obeying that our love for God is shown real, our lives are made blessable, and the blessings from God are experienced.
How can you go about experiencing the joy of a profoundly whole(some) life? (Ps 119:9-16)
To glorify God, I need to learn how not to sin; God’s Word has to move into me…
- you have to hunt down knowledge of the Holy and store it
- you have to treasure the Words of God more than sin
“It is a superior treasure, present and active, that conquers sin.” (Piper)