Zechariah: The King is Coming
The ROCK is Struck; the Remnant is Refined; the Relationship is Secured
From Eden’s fall, the storyline of God’s redemptive rescue is the calling of a man, a family, a nation, to the nations, the purifying of a people after his own name, to form an unobstructed relationship that culminates in life forever in a final eternal kingdom.
When He (Christ) had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,... Since that time He waits for His enemies to be made His footstool, because by one sacrifice He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. (Heb. 1:3; 10:13,14)
Though we are positionally made perfect through the sacrifice of Christ, we are being made holy through the refining fires of trials and discipline. Both are prophesied in Zech 13:7-9.
Unpacking the elements of that purification reality—what should the faithful expect?
1. God’s redemptive grace is at the front of the line (Zech 12:10)
- You are saved by the outpouring of God’s undeserved favour
2. The redeemed respond in repentance (Zech 12:10-13)
- Included in that undeserved favour is the enablement to respond to God (dead hearts are “quickened”) which is to turn from idols, self and sin and turn to Christ (repentance)
What does this piercing mean? Who is the One pierced?
3. Purification follows repentance (Zech 13:1-6; 2 Chron 7:14)
A fountain to cleanse from sin and impurity—
- “but one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and immediately there came out blood and water.” (Jn 19:34)
- Water – (Jer. 2:13; Ezk. 36:25-26)
- Blood – (Lev.17:11; Heb 9:22)
4. The Good Shepherd struck is the purifier (Zech 13:7)
MY Shepherd, my companion -incarnation and atonement!!
- STRIKE! – Ex 17:6; 1 Cor 10:4; Is. 53:4,6,10
- Jesus -(Matt. 26:31; Jn. 10) Predicted tribulation
(Jn 16:32) Re-enacted exile, commissioned disciples (Matt 26:32; 28:7,10, 16, 18-20)
5. Refinement removes impurities (Zech. 13:8,9a)
- Expect tribulation and trials--Like pure silver and pure gold
- Church pictured as suffering to near extinction before “On that day!” (Mk. 13:19-20; Rev. 11:3-10)
6. Refinement secures the relationship (Zech. 13:9b,c)
Result—they will call on my name!