MARK: The Gospel for Stressful Times
A Faith Inspection
It was Passover time—Jesus was on his way into Jerusalem to be our Paschal Lamb… (1 Cor. 5:7) he went straight to the Temple – he looked around at everything…(11)…here’s how we know what he is looking for…
1. A FIG TREE--“To find out if it had any fruit”
…found nothing but leaves --all outward show, nothing but false advertising
2. THE TEMPLE area – to find “a house of prayer for all the nations”
… found buying and selling, money changers, benches of doves, a den of robbers, leaders looking for a way to kill him
Chaos, distraction, obstacles, dishonesty, hatred—all show! (Jer. 7:11,14)
- A meeting place with God through prayer
- A place of instruction (he taught them) to know God accurately
- A place to represent his glorious presence
- A place to make access to God welcoming and without obstacles (Is. 56:7)
What does God see when he looks at you?—you are the temple of God!
3. A Mountain… Is.2:2; Mic. 4:1
…the people will be horrified to see it thrown down
The temple is on the move…into the sea of people who trust in God and pray from the inner place of God’s presence—who produce truth in advertising by their faith/ real faith
People who recognize that grace alone makes prayer worthwhile… “done for him”… “received it”
People who so understand the grace they have received in forgiveness, FORGIVE.
4. Israel’s Temple… replaced by JESUS (Jer. 7:1-15)
He looks around at everything… What are you advertising—Who are you really?
REAL GOD-GLORIFYING INVITING FAITH-FILLED FORGIVING