What Do You Believe?
The Truth about Humans: What the Scriptures declare to be true
1. Man is a created being by God - not an evolved being from a lower order of creature or kind (Gen 1:25 – 2:1).
Unformed is formed; unfilled is filled.
Creation vs “Evolution”-in any form/ description
The problem of death before the man sinned (Rom. 5:12; 1 Cor. 15:21)
Kalal- Gen. 2:1 – “added to until fully completed” (cf. Ex. 5:13)
2. Man is of a different kind than the rest of living creation (1 Cor. 15:45).
Imago Dei-made in the likeness of God.
3. Man has been ruined – but not beyond repair/restoration (Gen. 3:1-7, 23-24; Rom. 3:9-12; 5:12)
How “bad off”?
Total depravity --> completely unable to restore a relationship with God.
The choice to know evil cost humanity their lives.
4. God has made a reconnection possible (Gen 3:15; Jn. 3:16)
Substitutionary atonement – another was punished in place of the guilty.
5. God is re-creating a new family from within the mass of rebellious humanity (Rom.1:16,17; 3:20-24; 4:4-6; 5:17,19; 2 Cor.5:21)
Justification – declared righteous.
The unformed is being formed (Gal. 4:19; Eph 4:13); the unfilled is being filled (Eph. 3:19; 5:18)!