What Do You Believe?
The Truth About Evangelism
The only Good News is Jesus; the only plan for spreading the Good News is us!
“… and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8b)
To people whose faith is in their “filthy” rags (Isa. 64:6) How the Good News spreads…
1. Talk up Jesus everywhere (Acts 8:4).
“my witnesses” – when the crowds heard… and saw evidence of what Christ can do… (8:6-8)
2. Learn sensitivity to the Spirit – God knows where open hearts are (8:26-29).
Sensitivity grows over time from being obedient. As with most things about God, opportunity and boldness begin with a decision to obey.
3. There is a common language that carries across cultures – love, humility, sensitivity to needs (8:31)
4. Look for ripe fruit – God initiates conversion because the dead can’t raise themselves – look for God at work (8:30).
Our job is to be in the vineyard bringing Sonlight until the fruit ripens – and then pick it.
5. Start from their questions (8:30)
Many can only tell what they’ve been told; witnesses know what they tell.
“Tell me please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else? (Acts 8:34)
6. “That’s just what you believe or have been told!” – No, that’s what the Bible claims. Trust in God’s Word.
God’s word is powerful because God is powerful and causes his word to work in people. (Isa 55:10-12).
7. Be sure to make it about Jesus (8:35).
“Christianity is Christ.” W.H. Griffith
8. Close the deal – Jesus invited action, response (between vs. 35 and vs. 36!)
We are not dialoguing in order to enjoy conflicting realities; we are offering people a “choose life” proposition.
We are called to “make disciples” not give seminars on world religions.
Satan’s strongest opposition is at the Gates of Hell where the battle for souls rages.