Hold On Hang In
The Danger of Being a Ruined Waistcloth
“If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses?”
Likelihood of Defection:
- A consumer of Christian goods and services rather than a convert from idols to Christ.
- Addicted to reason rather than learning to live by faith.
- Swamped by doubt keeping your eyes fixed on circumstances and poor role models.
Warnings that you may be an endangered spiritual species…
1. You continue to allow other things to interfere with God things – disloyalty (13:1-11).
You are in danger of defecting if you regularly allow anything to displace God.
2. By living like the lost, you lose your spiritual sensitivity – inability to discern the genuine from the illegitimate (13:12-14).
You are more under the influence of the world than the influence of the Spirit.
3. You regularly use the glory of God to promote yourself or group – self-promoting pride (13:21-27).
The sin of Satan has a full grip so that even the “shepherds” will witness the collapse of their superficial crowd of people.
4. You aren’t caught occasionally by sin; you are living in sin – shameless rebellion (13:21-27).
How long will you be unclean?
What is our strategic plan as a church to address the ever-present danger of defection?
- Growing in grace
- Stretched and refined in faith
- Fixed in hope
- Steadfast in love
Worship – Intentionally making our lives about Christ first.
Connect – Intentionally learning to listen, obey and draw near to the Lord through the biblical tactic of iron sharpening iron.
Reach – Intentionally making our first love renowned – if you know someone, help them know the Someone you know.
If you, Israel, will return, then return to me,” declares the Lord.
“If you put your detestable idols out of my sight and no longer go astray,
2 and if in a truthful, just and righteous way you swear, ‘As surely as the Lord lives,’
then the nations will be blessed by him and in him they will glory.”
Jer. 4:1, 2