God Has Something to Say to You
Pride and Powerlessness
“Servant of the LORD” or stuck on yourself?
- What burns the heart of God? (3)
Too big not to fail
The deceitfulness of leaning on material props is no small thing to God. (1-9)
“See, I will make you small…despised. Oh what disaster awaits you--.” (2,5)
- Human nature, left unchecked, is hard-wired to live “above the level of its own adequacy.” (4)
- What Satan started (Is. 14:14), Eve bit into (Gen. 3:6) and Saul made par for the political course (1 Sam 15:17).
- What does pride live like?
Pride is as pride does
The destructiveness of thinking you belong on the haughty heights is sure. (11-14)
“You should not look down on your brother.” (12)
“As you have done, it will be done to you: your deeds will return upon your own head.” (15)
- Hyper-nationalism and greed fuel pride’s weapons of mass destruction.
- Pride can be measured by the amount you don’t pray and the body bag count you leave in the wake of your walk.
- What should God’s people do? (2 Chron. 7:14)
“Might does not make right”
The deliverance of the powerless, the humble, and the abused is as sure as God is! (15-21)
“And the kingdom will be the LORD’s.” (21)
The church must set its own house in order and then speak out against all human abuses.