Zechariah: The King is Coming
Preventing Mission Erosion
We have been rescued for his glory and for his mission (2 Cor. 5:20, Matt. 28:19, 20). In order to be effective in both of these and prevent mission erosion there are essential components that must be present, working together in our lives to produce the desired results.
1. A resolute trust in God;
Ps. 54:11a, “in God I trust and am not afraid.
Mission erosion starts when we begin to doubt that God is good and that he truly cares for us.
The lampstand vs. 2, 3 – portrays God’s grace which is continually available to sustain and empower us to be effective as his light to the nations.
- In great distress? God’s care for you is limitless and all sufficient (Psalm 91)
- Based on the revelation of who he is and how he cares, “I will put my trust in him” (Heb. 2:13)
2. A resolute commitment to His Word;
Ps. 119:10, 11, “I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”
Mission erosion starts when we begin to not take God’s Word seriously.
Vs. 6 – “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel…vs. 8 “then the word of the LORD came to me.”
- God sustains and empowers us through his Word.
- e.g. of Jesus in the wilderness being tested, Luke 4
- “truth does not change lives – truth applied is what changes lives” Edmund Chan
- If we are not rooted in God’s Word we will be ineffective in our mission
3. A resolute dependence on His power in us;
Zech. 4:6b, “not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit; says the LORD almighty.”
Mission erosion starts when we try to do his mission in our own strength.
Vs. 7 – “God bless it! God bless it! (NIV) Grace, Grace to it!” (NASB, ESV)
The sustaining power to complete the mission is attributed to God, not their own abilities or national might for they had little of that.
Luke 4:1 “Jesus was full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness.” Complete surrender and dependency on the power of the Holy Spirit.
Prevent mission erosion in your life by trusting God, staying committed to his Word and depending on the power the Holy Spirit within you to live effectively for his glory and his mission.