Joy Happens Through Obedient Living
3 essential ingredients to living in that “sweet spot” we all long for where JOY happens.
The ABC’s of Joy through obedient living.
1. Right Attitude – vs. 12-13
- Phil. 2:5 “Have this attitude/mindset in yourselves which was also in Jesus Christ”
- Like Christ; we should display an attitude of humility and obedience
- Pursue obedience by, “working out your salvation with fear and trembling”
- Although we must ‘work’ God is the one who produces the good works and spiritual fruit in our lives, John 15:5
“Christian joy is a good feeling in the soul, produced by the Holy Spirit, as he causes us to see the beauty of Christ in the word and in the world”. John Piper
Joy happens when the right attitude mixed with the right focus is empowered by God and produces results.
2. Right Behavior – vs. 14-16a
- “Do everything without grumbling or arguing…”
- So that you may become…
- Then you will…
Joy happens when our behavior reflects who we are and positively impacts those around us.
3. Right Commitment – vs. 16b-18
- We must be committed to something greater than ourselves and for disciples of Jesus that something is advancing the gospel.
- Paul “ran, he labored and he embraced being poured out like a drink offering” for the advancement of the gospel.
Joy happens when we embrace our mission and invest our lives personally and corporately to advance the gospel.