Hold On Hang In
How to Please the Lord
Come magnify the Lord with me –(Ps. 34:3)
“Magnify” (gadal)–to “bigify” something that is already great
How? The scriptures choose Thanksgiving!
I will praise the name of God with song,
and shall magnify Him with THANKSGIVING.
(Ps 69:30 NASB)
1. Thanksgiving magnifies God as Giver
- to those in trouble, God saves
- to those in need, God cares
2. Thanksgiving is an act of the heart that magnifies God’s value (31).
Thanksgiving pleases the Lord more than sacrifice because Thanksgiving comes from the heart; sacrifice may not.
God doesn’t need “horns and hoofs”
“gratitude glorifies God” (Piper)
Attitudes to overcome
- the arrogance of entitlement
- the presumption of independence
- anger towards God
What would appear to be so is that thanksgiving is “more to God’s liking and more to man’s help than the most expensive sacrifice.”