God Has Something to Say to You
God Has something to Say to You About A Great And Terrible Day! Are You Ready?
1. God Warns (1, 2:4-3:8) – He Will Judge!
God announces his righteous judgment against sinful humanity. It seems like we are lost and without hope for a TERRIBLE day is coming!
a. Extreme wrath is coming (1:2-3, 14-18)
- everyone is under the just and sure judgment of God (1:2-3)
- it is near and coming quickly (1:14)
- strength, position or wealth will not save you (1:14, 16, 18)
- it will be terrible, sudden and final (1:15-18)
b. Why? Judah and the nations are sinful (1:4-13, 3:1-4)
- Religious adultery (1:4-5)
- Defection (1:6)
- Cultural Conformity (1:8-9)
- Wealth/Corruption/Abuse/Complacency (1:10-13)
- Rebelliousness, Disobedience, Distrust, Drift (3:1-2)
- Treachery, Violence, Profane Living (3:3-4)
c. God sovereignly judges and rules (2:4-3:8)
- He has done no wrong – he is righteous, just and unfailing (3:5)
- He has warned but people eagerly continue to sin (3:6-7)
- Get ready for his consuming wrath and burning anger (3:8)
ARE YOU LISTENING?
2. God Calls (2:1-3, 3:9-13)– He Will Save!
God offers the only hope available to escape his wrath. There is hope, but only if you humbly repent and turn to Christ before it is too late!
a. Seek the Lord, seek righteousness, seek humility (2:3)
b. Now before it’s too late (2:1-2)
c. Call on his name, worship and serve him only (3:9-10)
d. Seek his refuge with meekness and humility (3:11-12)
e. Live a holy life (3:13)
ARE YOU READY?
3. God Sings (3:14-20)– He Will Rejoice!
God celebrates over his redeemed people with joyful, passionate and loud singing. A GREAT day is coming when his people will be with him to experience his joy and presence forever!
a. We are called to sing/shout/rejoice for what God has done (3:15-16)
- Taken away judgment
- Removed enemies
- Defeated sin
- Guaranteed his powerful presence
- Nothing to fear
b. We are invited to experience God’s great joy over His redeemed people – the object of His love (3:17-20)
- Rejoices in us with gladness
- Calms us with His love
- Exults over us in loud singing
ARE YOU JOINING THE ETERNAL SONG?