A Certain Kind: Discipleship Essentials
Filled with the Holy Spirit
The ultimate formula — “the ultimate imperative in all of Paul’s writings.” (Gordon Fee)
The indwelling H.S. + the filling of the H.S. = fully benefiting from the promise of Jesus in Jn. 14:18
Foundational facts concerning the ministry of the Holy Spirit:
- Every believer one time passively and permanently receives the indwelling Holy Spirit with the gracious gift of salvation- John 14:16; Rom. 8:9; Eph. 1:13 (not experiential-done to believers; not by the believer).
- Every believer is one time passively and permanently baptized by the Holy Spirit at salvation into Christ and into the body of Christ- Rom. 6:3,5; 1 Cor. 12:13 (not experiential-done to believers; not by the believer).
- Every believer is commanded to be active in continually being filled with the Holy Spirit- Eph. 5:18 (command, conditional, continual-experiential- action required by believers).
The Doctrine of the Filling of the Holy Spirit in Context: How to fully benefit from Jesus’ promise of the Holy Spirit’s Indwelling Work -
Far context Christian direction and progress checklist –
1. Walking worthy (4:1)
2. Not grieving the H.S. (4:30)
3. Imitating God (5:1)
4. No improper behaviour for believer (5:3-4)
5. Pleasing the Lord (5:10)
Near context Christian behaviour –
1. Wise time stewardship (5:16) Are you intentionally evil-proofing you/your family by prioritizing the way you strategize your time?
2. Daily choices to chase after the will of the Lord—the foolish live instinctively (5:17) Are you learning to make all of your decisions about the will of the Lord?
3. Make no room for substances that control your behaviour (5:18a) Are you always completely sober?
4. FILLING--Cooperate fully with the powerful person and presence of Jesus in your life (5:18b) Are you making every effort to have your desires, decisions and direction entirely controlled and all about Jesus? Your spiritual progress and growth depends on it.
How will I know that I am experiencing the filling of the H.S.?
The unnatural becomes normal. The fruit of our inner authentic experience of Jesus…
1. Speaking good theology to each other (5:19a) vs. corrupt and coarse language (5:3-4)
2. Singing and making music to the Lord (5:19b)
3. Always giving thanks to God for everything (5:20)
4. Submitting to one another (5:21) [wives, husbands, children, fathers, marketplace]
… in the fear of Christ.