A Certain Kind: Discipleship Essentials
Being Christ-like in Justice
Get ready, set, CHANGE!
3 Things that have to change… so our helping doesn’t become hurting
- Guilting the “haves” / Shaming the “have-nots”
- Gospel-driven churches yuckaphobia toward social-driven missions (the King without enough kingdom vs. the kingdom without the King—Corbett/ Fikkert)
- Settling for temporary relief rather than the hard work of fixing relationships
1. What does the Lord require of you? Mic. 6:8; 1 Cor. 1:26-31
“it is because of God that you are in Christ Jesus!” 1 Cor. 1:30
- To act justly
- To love mercy
- To walk humbly with your God
2. Why did Jesus come to his creation and why did he leave us temporarily behind? Lk. 4:18-19; Col 1:20
Jesus’ mission is to bring the rule of God to his creation—to fix things sin has ruined—“on earth as it is in heaven.” (Matt.6:10)
- King AND kingdom
- Word AND deed (Lk. 18:35-43)
- Church ministries that model the main feature—CHRIST
- Worship is essential, and connecting critical, but so is reaching with the practical results of kingdom wealth and power (1 Jn 3:16-18)
3. What’s the biblical worldview plan for poverty rescue?
“Poverty begins with broken relationships--reconciling first relationships is the key to [spiritual/] material poverty alleviation.” C/F
- Relief—Matt. 25:35-36
- Reconciliation – rehabilitation –Lk. 4:18-19; Acts 3:6-10; 2 Cor. 16-21; Col. 1:20
- Disciple-making—development –Matt 28:19,20; Col 1:28
What change do I need to make to be more like Christ in the matter of Justice?