What Do You Believe?
As Advertised by Jesus: The Truth about The Holy Spirit
During the time of waiting for the “not yet” reality of the Kingdom of God Jesus gives a promise that is for our good – John 16:7
Who is the Holy Spirit? (John 14:15-19)
1. The Holy Spirit is a “promised gift.”
- given by the Father and the Son (John 14:26, 15:26, 16:7)
- to those who have a loving relationship with Jesus (14:15)
2. The Holy Spirit is “another advocate.”
- besides Jesus (1 John 2:1)
-another of the same kind
-given to “come alongside” his followers to speak in their defense and provide counsel.
-“Technically means a family attorney who was on a permanent retainer. That is the way it is in our relationship with the Holy Spirit. We are part of the family of God, and the family attorney is the Holy Spirit Himself. He is always present to come alongside us and help in times of trouble.” R.C. Sproul
3. The Holy Spirit is fully God therefore a person.
- different than a force – “you can know him.”
- 6x’s Jesus refers to the Spirit as ‘Him’ or ‘He'
-He speaks, prays, testifies, leads, commands, guides, and appoints
-“and will be in you” – a new intimacy with God through the Spirit (John 7:37-39).
- He indwells us, 1 Cor. 6:19-20; Eph. 1:13
4. He is the source of truth
- communicates the truth (14:26)
-God’s word is truth (2 Peter 1:20-21)
-apart from him people cannot know God’s truth
What does the person of the Holy Spirit do?
1. He Helps us (14:16)
- in particular to ‘testify’ the to the truth about Jesus and the Kingdom of God (John 15:26) (Acts 1:4-8; 2:14-36).
- “faith comes by hearing…(Rom. 10:17)
2. He gives new life
- He was sent to apply the gift of salvation provided through Jesus Christ (John 3:5-8)
- “made spiritually alive”; (Eph. 2:1-6)
-1 Cor. 6:11; to the believers in Corinth, “you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.”
3. He transforms lives
- Rom. 15:6
- sanctification – a continuous transformation of our lives to reflect the character of Christ
-“Christ our first advocate came to strengthen us by his atoning death. Now the empowerment to live the life that Christ has called us to live comes to us by the Holy Spirit.” R.C. Sproul
4. He equips lives for serving
-1 Cor. 12:4-7
- “for the common good” and to “serve others” (1Peter 4:10)
“But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you!”